News

Old 97’s MMU AMA

March 30, 2014

AMA = Ask Me Anything

Curious about the inspiration behind the new album? Want to know which song is Ken’s favorite? How many sticks Philip broke during recording? What’s Murry doing RIGHT NOW?

Then post your questions in the comments section below, and in a few days I’ll post the answers to the best ones from the guys themselves.

25 Comments

• 03/30/2014

Who decides where y’all go on tour? Is it mostly Mr. Dalke, or do y’all collaborate on it?

• 03/30/2014

Also, would y’all ever consider doing an AMA on Reddit? It’s a pretty fun page 🙂

• 03/30/2014

Oh, hell, one more: Is “Let’s Get Drunk and Get It On” a nod to “Why Don’t We Get Drunk and Screw?” ; I haven’t had a chance to listen to it yet…just wondering…

• 03/30/2014

What’s the best part about making a record, and on the flip side, what the most messed up thing about making a record?

You guys rock!

1. You guys remember Studio D? Saw lots of bands there.

2. I’d like the backstory to Rhett’s once missing, now gold tooth.

• 03/30/2014

Very excited about MMU but this is about something else. How did Holy Cross get left off of TFTC? It’s the most underrated 97’s song

3. What’s your favorite town to perform in?

• 03/30/2014

What’s your favorite song to play from this record?

4. Curious as to why the decision to go to the “no holds barred” approach to songwriting is coming about now. Does it have anything to do with aging and wondering how long you’ll continue to do this at such a speed? With wanting to “get it out of your system” or “do it to say you did it” so to speak? Can’t wait to hear the new record in its entirety. I’m loving what I’ve heard so far.

• 03/30/2014

Hey boys – we misss you in CANADA. Any chance of a Toronto show on the MMU tour?

• 03/30/2014

Did you guys let Ken sing lead again??

• 03/30/2014

Does anyone have a dog, and if so, what kind?

• 03/30/2014

Hey this question is for Rhett,

in 2001, you guys played a show in addison TX. I was 10yrs old at the time. I was very front rowstanding right infront of you. Anyway i stole your setlist and after the show a lady asked me if i wanted to meet you. So i went back stage and asked you to sign the setlist i jacked from you. You laughed and signed it and walked me around to meet phil,ken,and murry as well. everyone signed the setlist. It was an awesome experience that i still remember like yesterday. My question is.. do you happen to remember that? I wouldnt expect you to. but I have been a lifelong fan because of that and still bump Old 97s music daily. Thank you guys for all the years of great music and i cant wait to see you in denver this summer.

5. Why aren’t you coming to Philadelphia? Please, please come

• 03/31/2014

Does touring get easier or harder as the years go by? How do you pass the time while touring now as opposed to in the past? Does social media / technology make traveling more tolerable?
    Thanks guys- you’re the best! It’s awesome that you make yourselves so available to us fans. <3

• 04/01/2014

Are you going to release any “clean” or “bleeped” versions of songs with naughty words so they can get radio play? If not, why not?

• > There IS a clean version that got sent to radio. No bleeps – the vocal actually drops out on the bad words. I bet it had to drop out about 30 times.

• 04/01/2014

Will there be any songs that you haven’t played in a while that you will be playing on the new tour?

6. Also, what was it like hearing that your cover of El Paso was partially responsible for the last episode of Breaking Bad? (Vince Gilligan was listening to the song and got the idea of him coming back into town, guns blazing, and decided to name the episode “Felina”)

• 04/08/2014

Do you guys enjoy playing music festivals, or are they a pain in the ass? Why? (I love them and wish you’d play more!)

• 04/08/2014

when you were writing these songs… did it start with some chords and a progression you liked and then you wrote a melody to fit it OR the other way around: hum a melody you like and then figure out the chords to go with it?
    Same with lyrics… idea first, then flesh it out OR start writing lines and figure out what it meant?
    Was that two questions? Sorry!